Skip to main content

My favorite orchids....

You go shopping at our favorite grocery store, and we see the floral section filled with such beautiful orchids, but they all look the same. They are the common phalaenopsis or "moth orchid." These are such beautiful orchids, but there are over 1200 different types of orchids. Orchids happen to be one of the largest genera of plants in the world. We have so many different shapes and even fragrances. When it comes to orchid fragrance we have a range from rotten fish guts to Chanel No. 5. So, let me tell you some of my personal favorites.


Phalaenopsis Photo....



Cymbidiums......



These orchids are and have always been my number one favorite orchid. They are large, very large, plants that have beautiful waxy flowers and occasionally come with a citrus/floral scent. These orchids can be grown from back bulbs, and often, they need dividing as they continue to grow very large.



Oncidiums/hybrids....

I love these orchids for their showy and often, colorful displays. The most popular one is the Shary Baby or chocolate orchid. Its chocolate/vanilla fragrance is addicting. These orchids have finer roots but are still an epiphyte type orchid. I like to pot these up in a slotted orchid pot with the smaller chunks of orchiata bark. They often are shaped like people. These are called the "Dancing Lady" orchids. There are so many different names. I do enjoy the Degomoara, Aliceara, and Beallara types.


Rhynchostylis/hybrids.....

I am absolutely obsessed with the rhynchostylis genera. I have almost all the color variations leaving me with 16 rhynchos. I love how strong the fragrance the smell is. It's a musty, peppery, citrus like fragrance that is so strong that it can be smelled from a floor away. These can be grown bare-root, but in Ohio, I have found much better success when they are potted in chunkier orchiata bark with stylite, perlite, and volcanic rock. My favorite rhyncho is the "peach" variation.


Phragmipediums.....

Everybody loves slipper orchids. Their unique shape and mystery are captivating. Phrags look just like the paphiopedilums but the culture is much different. When we hear "slipper orchid," we think of asian hybrids or species. Even the American common lady's slipper, but phrases are very different. The culture on these plants is a complete 180. Phrags like lots of water. They like water to run past the roots to refresh the oxygen levels within the pot. I water my phrags every other day while I water my paphiopedilums 1-2 times a week. These are usually sequential bloomers, and I love how many rhizome divisions develop per plant.


Comments