Skip to main content

Catasetum Orchids

Sorry for the last few days. I have been completing a lot of yard work, finishing projets around the house, and putting up an above ground pool. Hopefully, that will make the hot, humid Ohio summers much more bearable. I have been doing a lot of youtube watching, and I stumbled upon the catasetum orchids. They are unique because they have a platform for the pollinator to land on them, they trigger some hairs on the orchid, and boom, it shoots out a sticky pollen wad to the back of the pollinator. Pretty cool if you ask me. I'm more intrigues by the smell. I love fragrant orchids. I'm only not too keen on the bulbophyllum orchids because some of them are known to smell like fish and rutting entrails, so that is a turn-off for me. I ordered three more orchids. I know, I have too many as it is, but at least plants is a better hobby than doing drugs. am I right? I placed an order for Monnierara Millenium Witchcraft Magic, Taiwan Magic Gold, and Cycnodes Wine Delight. I am very excited for my order. I have heard that Taiwan Gold smells like banana popscicles while Wine Delight smells like cherries. We shall see what these will bring. I love the fact that these are also easily propagated from backbulbs. The care for these orchids also is very interesting. They take a very long winter rest where the roots die back, and all we are left with is a pseudobulb. It looks scary, but this is normal. The plant will shrivel, and that is still ok. We do not water at all until the signs of new growth. That means, we plant people get to take the winter off. I'm excited to give these guys a try. I will be potting them up in spaghnum moss because they are heavy feeders and drinkers. I will post photos of whats to come.

Comments